29 April 2012

Super Conference Smoothie


I’m looking forward to next weekend’s Oklahoma Writers Federation, Inc., conference.
Liz won’t be able to attend, and that will be the only downside to the trip.
The upside is I get to hobnob with fellow writers and some of the movers and shakers in the writing profession. I get to be of service as well by volunteering to be a shepherd and a go-fer.
During the past five-six years, the workshops/sessions I’ve attended have rarely yielded anything I don’t already know. I’ve written long enough, have had a dozen book sales, and read several writer/editor/agent blogs and writing news, so I know the game.
So, why attend?
Simple answer: I need a pep talk. I need to hear someone chide me for not doing what I should be doing everyday. I need my ego bruised and my envy at the success of others to rise to the top.
I need a quick kick in my writing butt, is what I need.
I don’t think of writing conferences as “learning something new” but as a spiritual retreat to renew my vows to Tell-Tale story making.
I recently changed my eating, drinking, and exercising habits, which are parallel to changing my writing habits.
I eat as much protein as possible, nearly cut out all fat products, am conscience of my choices in a restaurant.
I power walk 12-15 miles a week. I’ve gone from doing a 2.5k in 50 minutes to doing a 5K in 39 minutes in one year. I do resistance exercises on those days I don’t power walk.
I make sure to get eight to nine hours of sleep a night.
I’ve stopped drinking nearly all colas, fruit juices, and other “unnatural” drinks.
One of my new favorite habits is a SuperFood Smoothie I quaff on a daily basis--and I’m working on developing a SuperWriting Smoothie to get my tell-tale career up and going on a daily basis once again.
------------------------------------
Larry Mike’s SuperFood Smoothie
½ cup blueberries
½ cup strawberries
3 slices grapefruit (remove pits)
½ banana
1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
½ cup skim milk
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp chili powder (optional)
1 square unsweetened (baking) 100% dark cocoa
2 to 4 drops pure vanilla extract (according to taste)
I like using frozen berries as this makes for a chilly, nearly frozen smoothie drink.
Chop up the cocoa square into small pieces.
Put all ingredients in a blender and fire up the blades!
When all is liquefied, pour in your favorite drinking vessel and enjoy!
Makes one serving. Double or triple or quadruple for serving to family and friends.
Can freeze for later--make it overnight, freeze it, take it to work for a nice mid-morning repast.
Some optional additions to make the SuperFood Smoothie interesting. Choose one, not all, unless you want to make it really interesting:
2 ozs vanilla vodka
2 ozs red wine
2 ozs plum wine
2 ozs Irish whiskey
2 ozs tequila
------------------------------------
I must constantly remind myself to write everyday. To tell the stories in my head that are yearning to be free.
My SuperFood Smoothie has now become a daily habit, a ritual, something I don’t miss on a daily basis.
And, constructive writing everyday is becoming a habit once more. My mind and soul don’t like to miss a day without writing
There’s no great secret to staying healthy: Just eat what I know is good and healthy for me. Change my cravings from those foods that contribute little to my physical, emotional, and spiritual well being. Eat Super Foods.
There’s no great secret to writing: Just write. Put down one word. Then put down another word after it. Put my fingers on the keys and tap downward with a purpose. Change my cravings from those distractions that don’t contribute to my tell-tale story making. Write Super Tales.
Oh, I still have a pizza or ice cream or candy every now and then; however, the taste is not really as satisfying as it once was, and my body yells, “What the Hell was that? Where’s the Super Food, buddy boy?”
And, I still watch brainless TV shows on occasion; however, after a bit of watching, Myself says, “What the Hell you doing? Laynie or Sati or Whatever-Character is waiting for you to get back to their tales, and you’re pissing them off!”
Eat well.
Write Well.
Larry Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment