07 May 2010

My writing friend Julia Mozingo posed a question about story beginnings at the SCYAW Yahoo group page.

Just last Tuesday, I changed the beginning of NEVЯLAND.

Originally, the protagonist was pounding on a locked bathroom door.

Now, she's standing on the curb waiting for a red light to change--a red light that is taking forever, and she's debating whether to cross the street against the red light because no cars are in sight.

She's 13-years-old, right at the age when children begin to transcend from fearing God and Parents into having little to no fear at all.

What would you do in such a situation? Wait, or cross against the red light?

Have you changed a beginning because your original start just didn't feel right?

Tell me what you would do at such a red light and why you changed your beginning, and I'll tell you what my character does and why I changed the beginning of NEVЯLAND.

See you on the bookshelves.

Larry Mike Garmon

No comments:

Post a Comment